09 November 2006

goodbye, sweet innocence of childhood

I grew up in New Hampshire believing three things were eternal:
1. The Red Sox will never win the World Series.
2. The Old Man of the Mountain will always be around.
3. New Hampshire is a Republican state.

Well, over the last few years the first two myths were shattered. The first one for the good, the second for bad. But somehow I still believed in the third. I believed in it so strongly that I almost didn't vote. I believed the US House race was definitely going to the Republican candidate and there was no way the Democrats would win either the NH senate or the NH house. But with a pathetic optimism I picked up in my 24 years of cheering on the Red Sox, I filled in the bubbles on my ballot and mailed it in, hoping beyond hope that "this was the year!"

Well wasn't I surprised when I read this article this afternoon:
Democratic Sweep Puts Lynch In Driver's Seat
Legislature Shifts To Democratic Control

CONCORD, N.H. -- The political landscape in New Hampshire shifted dramatically on Election Day, and observers said Gov. John Lynch may now have clear sailing to pass his entire agenda.
For the first time in history, New Hampshire Democrats will be in charge of the governor's office, Executive Council, state House and Senate. Democrats last held the governor's office, House and Senate in 1874.
Lynch was re-elected with a record 74 percent of the vote.

So let me just repeat this for those who don't quite understand.
November 6th
Democrats: Governor
Republicans: US Representatives; US Senators; NH House of Representatives; NH Senate; Executive Council
November 9th
Democrats: Governor; US Representatives; NH House of Representatives; NH Senate; Executive Council
Republicans: US Senators (they weren't up for election this cycle)

The Curse is Dead!

PS. (Special for my fellow New Hampshirites) Good luck Sylvia Larsen! I hope you get the President of the Senate position!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Red Sox? Really, Andy?

The Tsar said...

What? Don't tell me you're a Yankees fan...

Anonymous said...

But of course. :-)

Unknown said...

Dad, when was the last time you SAW a baseball game?!

Anonymous said...

We took your coisins Isaac and David and your grandfather to a Blue Rocks game a couple of years ago. So ... that counts! (Your mother is a Yankees fan, so maybe I'm a Yankees fan-in-law).

Nero said...

Go Democrats!!!! Hello I am a B20 and I came a cross ur blog. Best Wishes and Happy Holidays.
C