06 November 2006

monday, blah, blah, blah... VOTE!

I hate Mondays. What happened this Monday? I flipped out in my 7th grade class and had them spend the last 15 minutes of the class copying new vocabulary over and over again. In this class there are 23 students, all in the throes of puberty and unable to maintain a thought process for longer than 30 seconds. I warned them but they just wouldn't listen. Not that I think "duvet" and "face flannel" are especially important words to know in English but it's the principle... Tenth grade class wouldn't listen because they were too busy trying to keep from shivering. I was a little easier on them... 12th grade was good. We learned how to use monolingual dictionaries. We also learned how different words are related. My personal favorite was making the sentence, "the captors captured the captive."... My 11th graders began the class by running around the classroom hitting each other. They are all girls.

I feel very bitter today. Anyone who wants to cheer me up, give it a try. I really need to shake this day off.

In other news, VOTE! Even if you don't agree with my politics, go out and vote. I have a new appreciation for democracy and urge everyone to exercise their freedom. My 10th grade students skipped school on Friday and one student's reason: It's a free country now, I can do what I want. Democracy isn't easy. Democracy, like faith, is something you must work for. It may be a pain to fit voting into your busy schedule, but it is important. If you don't vote, you are saying that you don't care about democracy, you don't care about the sacrifices generations have made before you and you are too weak to decide your future. Go out and just do it!

4 comments:

Jessicool said...

Would it cheer you up if I mentioned that I think you mean "throes" of puberty (not throws) and "principle" (not principal)? Hm. Probably not.

Well, I hope you feel better anyway...I'd try to cheer you up by telling you that I plan to vote, but I'm not allowed because the stupid DMV here in CA did not send in my votor registration card in time to be counted for the elections. Alas, alack, democracy, you have been thrwarted.

Hey, at least you didn't get poison oak all over your face and then a kidney infection....at least there is that. :)

Anonymous said...

What's "face flannel"?

(And I wasn't going to say anything about the "throes" and "principle.")

And I did vote.

Hope tomorrow is better for you.

Anonymous said...

HEEEEEEEEYYYYYYYYYY (about the voting business, candy!) and.. what IS a face flannel?!?

Fuff

The Tsar said...

A face flannel is a word for a "face cloth." I think it's British. I run into all kinds of fun British words in our textbooks: "Cooker," "Cleans teeth," "jumper." It's like a whole other language...

And I corrected my grammatical errors. My mom is gonna kill me...