18 December 2005

"it's a small world after all"

As much as I hate the Disney ride, I think it is an apt description of what I have come to realize lately. The world is small. Though we number in the billions, humans are connected in amazing ways. And why not? We are more alike than we are different. Though as an anthropologist I have tended to look at the differences between people, in actuality I end up finding more similarities.
First, musical connections. Tonight, I had dinner at a colleague’s house. I was dreading going out: we had a bad snow storm today, it was a depressing Sunday, shut in my apartment all day making lesson plans. But I got on my hat, gloves, scarf, thick wool socks, new Bulgarian boots and jacket and walked into the cold. When I got to my colleagues apartment, before I even got in, I could hear the 80’s hard core rock pulsating from within.
This isn’t the first time I have encountered this. I only knew two Bulgarians before I came to Bulgaria, both of them were from college. One of them roomed with a team mate of mine. His name was Ognan and he was a scary fellow. Long black hair, lots of Megadeath T-shirts, black leather gloves, you get the picture. And I thought it strange. This guy comes all the way from Bulgaria, and he is obsessed with 80’s heavy metal. But once I came here, I realized it wasn’t an aberration. Bulgarians, men especially, love heavy metal. I am a big Punk fan myself (enough so to be that kid in high school with spiked green hair, but that’s for another posting…) but this music is too much for me. I feel like ol’ grandpa Andy, “why can’t you play your music at an appropriate level?”
But back to my visit. So there I was outside my colleague’s apartment as Slayer pounded my temples. I stepped inside, preparing myself for a night of “Headbangers Ball.” Fortunately, my colleague’s husband turned down his music, but not before showing me his collection. I kid you not, he had hundreds of CD’s. I asked him later what were his favorite bands and he listed off “Megadeath, Slayer, Sepultura, AC*DC, Pantera, Metallica” and too many others to mention. My colleague’s husband and Ognan aren’t alone in their adoration of this music. Many Bulgarians are infatuated with, if not 80’s Heavy Metal, then at least 80’s music. My host brother in Krichim is a huge Metallica and, oddly enough, Chicago fan. Let me tell you, after a few Rakiyas there is nothing better than belting out “You Are my Inspiration” into the early morning.
Another weird connection: work. My colleague’s husband works for a factory just outside of Bobov Dol that makes liquid oxygen and nitrogen (which now that I think of it kinda makes me nervous. Aren’t those really combustible? Like mushroom cloud combustible?). Anyways, the company is called SIAD and from the first time I saw the logo on a truck I thought it looked like the logo of a factory I used to work for while I was in college. So in my best Bulgarian, I took a long shot and asked him if he knew Praxair, this company I used to work for. He said, “oh yeah, SIAD used to be called Praxair.” So I told him about my old job, and my colleague laughed and said, “you two are colleagues.” It made me smile: here I am living seven time zones away from home having dinner with a guy who works for a factory in his hometown, that also has a factory that I used to work in, in my hometown. It was like when I spoke with another colleague who used to be in the Bulgarian Army during the Communist Era. We were on a bus somewhere and he commented, “here is where we used to train with the Warsaw Pact to fight NATO.” And I realized that there were places back home where my father had trained with NATO to fight the Warsaw Pact. At the same time, my father and my colleague were training to kill each other.
I don’t have a succinctly defined opinion on globalization. I think that we should strive to preserve cultural diversity but at the same time I think we must strive to connect our human race. I think here in Bulgaria, though things are going slowly, we are moving in the right direction. After 50 years of isolation, Bulgaria is moving away from isolation. Though 80’s death metal still grates on my nerves, I was happy to get invited tonight to a rock concert in the summer. I am also glad that I am now working with my colleague instead of wondering if someday I will have to kill his son. And though every time I hear that song it brings back bad memories of getting stuck on that damn ride and hearing “it’s a small world- it’s a small world- it’s a small world” over and over again, it truly is a small world after all.

9 comments:

Maegen said...

um, that chicago stuff was extra funny. you two can't carry a tune in a bucket, but y'all were precious trying.

The Tsar said...

Okay, someone was just jealous that she couldn't sing like Mladen and me. And this is a warning: this site will only except non-Southern speak. Do you see a confederate flag hanging anywhere here? "Y'all" is not a real word. I don't go to your site and say "You sing wicked retahded," or "yaa gawd-damn idiot," please show the same respect in my site.

Maegen said...

wow, that was way harsh ty. I allow freedom of expression on my blog. I have the utmost respect for regional dialects. You can express your regional uniqueness on my blog and I would not "bless your heart," call you a "darlin lamb of God."

And I take deep personal offense to the confederate flag comment. Have you heard the phrase, "you're being an ass, and I'm not kidding?

Because I live in a certain part of the country and speak with a particular accent and choose from a slightly different set of words, I'm ignorant, or better yet... a racist bigot? That's super of you andy. I'm really floored.

So what about Mexican Americans? You must think they are the scum of the earth... throwing all those dirty Spanish words into English. Who the hell do they think they are trying to get us to take siestas and throw fiestas. If we Southerners are bigots, those Mexican Americans are lazy asses, right amigo...

Anonymous said...

what the hell is so wrong with using the word "y'all???"

and ya know what, hot stuff?? maybe you should be more encouraging of other peoples' wacky, unique, ridiculous selves, instead of trying to force people into the straight-jacket of YOUR expectations. i'm thinkin' you should be more trampoline and less brick-wall. now, if only i could get some damn sleep...

The Tsar said...

Okay, here it goes: Please don't bother posting any more comments on this conversation, because this is getting stupid and a little too melodramatic for me.
BUT a few things first.
Maegen, if you got a personal problem with me, I prefer you talk to me about it and not air it on the internet for everyone to see. You know what I mean.
Second: The confederate flag is a symbol of the South whether you like it or not. It's omnipresent down there, heck it's even on a state flag! If you take personal offense to it, good. Do something to get rid of it.
Third: As for the whole diatribe against Mexicans, that's just offensive and shows your personal insecurities. I never said you were ignorant or a bigot, that was something you attached to my comments. Please next time, don't attack Mexicans to make me look like a rascist asshole. You know that is not me.
Fourth: It was a joke. RELAX. It's called sarcasm.

The Tsar said...

I'm gonna break my own rule because people are accusing me of things I didn't do. Look, I said "Do you see a confederate flag waving here?" because, whether you like it or not, the confederate flag is a part of Southern Culture. From Lynard Skynard to Kid Rock, from the South Carolina state house to beltbuckles, it is associated with life in the South. I didn't say it made you stupid, or racist, that was something all of you put out there. And it wasn't a cheap shot at the South, it was a cheap shot at dialects in general. Did you notice me making fun of my own dialect? God, you people need to relax. This same thing happened when Howard Dean said Democrats should reach out to those with Confederate flags in the back of their pickups. He wasn't saying we should reach out to racists, he was saying we should reach out to Southerners. The Confederate flag isn't a symbol of the South? Please. Look at how much talk it spawned on my little old site. It is powerful and evocative and everyone knows what we are talking about. If that isn't a symbol, I just wasted 4 years of college studying anthropology...

Anonymous said...

Are you sure you didn't break your own rule just so you could get the last word? You seem to be "airing" a lot of your personal issues on the internet against your own advice. I am pretty sure that Blogger allows comment deletion. There are a lot of "y'all"s on here. Why don't you (again) follow your own advice and delete them? Perhaps seeing your own words "aired" is more important.

The Tsar said...

and this is who?

The Tsar said...

I feel like saying "get a life" to all these people who keep posting comments on my comments a minute after I post them, but then I go ahead and post something else and I realize that it's ME who needs to get a life. I mean, these comments pop on my desktop, but how do all of you know when *I* post something??

Stereotypes?! What?! You mentioned pots and kettles earlier Liz, guess who's on the phone for you now? I can not say this enough: READ MY COMMENTS. WHEN DID I SAY ANYTHING ABOUT SOUTHERNERS BEING STUPID, IGNORANT AND RACIST?! Hmmm, when did that start? When a Southerner decided to stereotype herself. I take it very personally when someone insinuates (or comes right out and says)I stereotype.. I don't know why I am posting this because if you don't see this by now, you won't no matter how big I make the letters or how many times I repeat it...

There is a difference between a stereotype and a symbol, you are right Liz. I made use of a symbol to symbolize of a group of people. That's what a symbol does. I used a flag, by definition something that is meant to symbolize a group of people. Hmmm, you see an American flag, what is the first thing you thing of? Hmmm, America maybe? A EU flag? The European Union? The Confederate flag? The south? Geez, is that such a leap of logic?

A stereotype is something that an individual attaches to a symbol. That is beyond my control and says a lot about the individual who attaches the sterotype. I put out the symbol (the Confederate flag) and some people attached a stereotype to it(southerners are ignorant and racist). Symbols are tricky things and have many different meanings. That is what makes anthropology so interesting. It is also what allows people to twist my words into something bad. Fortunately, they stand here unmolested. Look at them again and judge for yourself...