05 December 2005

things begin to look up

Often, just when I think I can’t handle it here, things happen that tell me to hang on just a little bit longer. Today was like that. It was my first day back to school in over a week and I started the day in a deep funk. I was dreading going to school and facing those kids once again. Not only have I been gone for a while but I am giving all my students a test at the end of the week and so this week is full of review games and practice tests. I knew they were going to be crazy today and I was not excited about that. Before school I said a little prayer, just a simple thing. I wanted Him to walk with me today because I knew I couldn’t handle it on my own.
I had 12th grade first and though they were not happy about having a test, nor were they enthused by my games, they were patient and didn’t make my day any more miserable. After that class, I was called into the director’s office. Sitting on the couch was a woman I didn’t recognize. From what I gathered from the director, this woman was the new English teacher. This was quickly confirmed when the woman started speaking English. I almost started crying with joy right then and there.
For those who don’t know, an English teacher from my high school (the teacher I was supposed to team-teach with, in fact) left right before the year started. I was given all his classes and have been teaching the classes by myself, with my limited teaching experience and even more limited Bulgarian. I didn’t know when I first accepted this gig that out of 4 classes, 3 have no functional English. So I have been pulling my hair out trying to teach these students basic English, without a book and with little support (I have to thank my counterpart Galya here. She has given me a tremendous amount of support. But overall the school has been unable to help me).  
So today when this woman came, Mrs. Ivanova, I could have kissed her. I didn’t though. We went to my classes and she met the students. Of course they were the little devils that they always are and because my lessons were mostly review games, they were even crazier. I was afraid that Mrs. Ivanova was going to either run away and never return to Bobov Dol or else think I was a horrible teacher. Only time will tell what she does.
As it stands now, she and I will team-teach these classes. I can’t describe how happy this makes me. Under this structure, she can discipline and explain grammar in Bulgarian and I can plan the lessons and activities. It is great. I look forward to having another person there in the foxhole with me. It won’t make everything perfect, but at least it will even up the odds a bit.
On top of that, last Wednesday was my name day. It was Saint Andrew’s Day and here in Bulgaria, name days are a huge deal. They are even bigger than birthdays. I was bummed that on my name day I was with Americans who really could have cared less about it. When I arrived in school today, however, I learned that my colleagues had not forgotten. They presented me with a beautiful silver cross that they had all pitched in to buy. I was so happy and thankful. I spoke with another English teacher and he said that the gift was out of appreciation for all the things I had done. I felt very special.
I have been an Atheist for a long time. Things have happened since I arrived here in Bulgaria, however, that have made me believe in God once again. Today was another one. Here I was, at the end of my rope, feeling like I couldn’t do it anymore. Out of desperation, I asked Him to walk beside me because I knew I was going to fall. And seemingly sent from Heaven was this new teacher, here to help me to teach. On the same day, I receive a silver cross, from my colleagues in appreciation of all the hard work I have put in. I don’t want to sound all preachy ( I hate when people get like that) but I will say that tonight before I go to sleep, I will say a little prayer of thanks to Him for helping me hold on just one more day.

No comments: